My journey toward pursuing a career in psychology began with studying the behavioural sciences in order to aid my curiosity towards understanding the human mind. Over the years, I established a deeper interest in mental health concerns and well-being, however it was not until I was introduced to the field of developmental psychology that I recognized my passion towards child and youth mental health services.
After graduating from Simon Fraser University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology and a minor in Education and Human Development, I pursued my passion for mental health by completing a 2-year intensive Master Degree in Counselling Psychology: School and Youth Concentration through Adler University in Vancouver, British Columbia. During this time, I completed my counselling internship at Simmons Counselling and Consulting, as well as at the Ministry of Children and Family Development with Child and Youth Mental Health.
I continue to see clients under the direct supervision of Johanna Simmons at Simmons Counselling and Consulting, offing one-on-one counselling services to children, youth, and adults. I am also employed at the Ministry of Children and Family Development as a Child and Youth Mental Health Clinician. At this position I provide individual counselling to youth and children as well as offer parental support and guidance. In addition, I co-facilitate a variety of groups including the Gender Health Group, CBT Chilled Group for Anxiety and Depression, Yoga Therapy, and Pre-Treatment Group.
Prior to my counselling career, I sought to enrich my knowledge and develop my skills further by seeking community employment. I have worked in a variety of positions offering valuable experiences working with children, youth, and adults of all ages who presented with a range of mental health concerns and developmental abilities within diversified settings since 2012. I have learned a great deal from each of my diverse roles. I continue to grow my knowledge by attending workshops and seminars focused on mental health concerns and well-being to build my skill set in order to offer treatment options that best address your needs.
Professional Credentials & Certifications
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology with a Minor in Counselling and Human Development – Simon Fraser University
- Masters of Counselling Psychology: School and Youth Concentration – Adler University
- Expressive Play Therapy Certificate – Justice Institute of British Columbia
- Mindfulness-Based Somatic Therapy (Level 1, 2 & 3) – Hope & Heal Therapy and Training
- Therapeutic Yoga
- RYT-certified 200-Hour Yoga Teacher – Shelley Tomczyk
- Kids Yoga Teacher Training – Rainbow Kids
- Trauma Informed Yoga – Yoga Outreach
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
- Suicide to HOPE – Living Works
- safeTALK – Living Works
- ASIST – Living Works
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy (Level 1 Clinical Training) – Adler University